Funday Morning  - Behind the Eight Ball available in the webshop.  CLICK TO PURCHASE NOW!

Friday, May 7, 2010

That's Not A Good Idea

I posted this cartoon on Face Book last year and received several positive comments, one of which suggested I do more cartoons about music and musicians.  My ego inflated to Hindenburg proportions and I thought, "What a good idea!"  So I sat down and immediately began furiously sketching a series of drawings about making music.

Sometimes when I'm sorting through how to present something, I'll write a small story about what's going on and choose some point in the plot that demonstrates the joke.  Since I draw a single panel, the reader must be able to determine what has just happened (or just been said) and what comes next.  This is the 'get it' factor to the joke.

I'll spare you the ones that were completely unworkable - that would just belabor the point.  The closest concept I came up with was based on my original cartoon with the father and the son practicing together, rehearsing a climactic moment in their rock show...

The impact (pardon the pun) was completely lost without the introduction which set up the gag.
So what's my point?  Creators typically show the public only the ideas that work, whether it's a song, painting, poem, etc.  We have a LOT of bad ideas!  I personally have far more bad than good.  I just don't want anyone to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment