Funday Morning  - Behind the Eight Ball available in the webshop.  CLICK TO PURCHASE NOW!

Monday, December 6, 2010

Toon Talk

When I tell someone I draw cartoons, invariably, the question comes up, "Where do you get your ideas?"  I thought I'd take Mondays and pull a cartoon from my archive and give you an idea as to how I came up with it.

Today's cartoon is based on an old vaudeville joke.  The gag went like this:

Did you hear about the man with five penises?

His pants fit like a glove.

I always thought this joke was funny, but I knew it wasn't appropriate for a newspaper.  The 'fit like a glove' line gave me a snapshot in my head and I drew the cartoon around the suit actually being a glove.  By the way, the tailor in the drawing is an old friend of mine.  I used him over and over in various forms until I came up with the Funday family I use today.  Where the name, Mr. Abernathy, came from, I have no clue.

No comments:

Post a Comment