Funday Morning  - Behind the Eight Ball available in the webshop.  CLICK TO PURCHASE NOW!

Friday, February 18, 2011

To Hell With The Trophy! Give Me Money!

It's been a while since I posted anything from my portfolio, so I thought I'd write about an illustration I created when I worked at the Nashville Banner.  The story was about how to train your voice for public speaking.

My original sketch was a character doing a version of a bicep curl with his tongue.  One of my fellow designers suggested the speed bag work out on the uvula.  It was a much easier image for the reader to instantly 'get' and made for a far better page layout.  The final art was created in Macromedia Freehand and the page layout was QuarkXpress (I didn't design the page).

This image won an award from the Society of News Design, an organization whose recognition I found deeply flattering.  However, it didn't include a raise, much to my dismay.

Later, when I became a freelance artist, I took the vector file and imported it into PhotoShop and played around with it.  I still use this as a showcase piece when anyone asks about my prior career.

2 comments: